Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Hamburg Sweet Tang Grapefruit Lager


Sometimes there is nothing nicer on a hot day than a lager. While I may have just stated the obvious, I want you to understand this is coming from a guy who would drink an imperial stout on a 110 degree day. Lagers are a style of beer I tend to forget about. Maybe it is because they are most famously made by breweries I tend to shy away from. Or maybe it is because they were the beers I learned my drinking limits on in college. Whatever the reason may be I rarely leave a bottle shop with one of them. That being said, I am frequently reminded particularly during the hot summer months that a Budweiser, a Heineken or a Pabst Blue Ribbon can be particularly refreshing. So I asked myself what about some of the craft beer options? That brings me to this week's review, Hamburg Brewing Company's Sweet Tang.

Sweet Tang is a lager brewed with grapefruit and it pours a densely cloudy orangey yellow with a white head. The aroma is bursting with grapefruit. I could smell it very clearly as I was pouring it into the glass. There is also a light, bready malt sweetness in the aroma but not much else. On aroma alone Sweet Tang appeared to have a lot of potential. After my first sip I was not sure what to think of it. While the flavor of the base lager is light, it is there. The grapefruit however dominates the flavor. What threw me off initially was that I expected the grapefruit to compliment the sweetness from the malt. It did not, and that is what makes this beer successful. It adds a beautifully refreshing flavor to the lager backbone before giving way to a very bitter and clean finish.

While a bitter, clean finish worked for me I understand the bitterness of it will not be for everyone. In fact, it took some getting used to for me but by the time my glass was empty Sweet Tang had won me over. This is not only a fine example of a craft lager, it is a fine example of how to use fruit in beer. Both distinct flavors mesh well together. While I may have wanted to see a little more of the lager shine, everything works here. I can safely say this is a beer that will be in my regular summer rotation.

Overall I rate Hamburg Brewing Company's Sweet Tang Grapefruit Lager a 3.75/5. Simple, fun, and easy to drink, a great beer to kick off the summer season.


Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment