Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Galaxy Andromeda IPA


It dawned on recently that I have been writing beer reviews for the past two years and I have yet to review a draft beer. Each and every single review I have done has come from a bottle or a can. Now I realize I could remedy this by purchasing a growler/bomber, but if the beer is bad finishing one of those can turn into quite a commitment. The other reason I have not reviewed a draft beer is when I go to a bar, I don't typically take a notepad or a laptop. For this review I decided to do something different. Much to the chagrin of my lovely wife I decided to take notes on my freshly poured pint of Galaxy Brewing Company's Andromeda IPA on our most recent date night. After several long pauses for note taking, awkward glares and some quiet contemplation, I felt I had all of the information I needed to write this review.

Andromeda IPA has been a beer that up until now I have seemingly ignored. Despite being told time and time again it is worth trying, I always found a way to order something else. What makes it strange is I have had several really nice beers from the Binghamton, New York Brewery. I just had not tried their flagship beer. So as I stared at its beautifully clear copper color and off white head, I had high hopes I was in for a long overdue treat. The aroma reinforced that thought with toasted malt, pine, citrus & tropical notes. The flavor matches the aroma, blending the tropical flavors of tangerine, pineapple and passion fruit with pine, citrus and a nice toasted malt backbone. If I had to describe Andromeda IPA in one word it would be balanced. The malt and hops compliment each other nicely providing a smooth, easy drinking experience.

Galaxy Andromeda IPA is a good beer plain and simple. While it doesn't really stand out as one of the best IPAs I have had. It is definitely good enough to merit a purchase each time I see it from this point forward. They seem to be doing some pretty nice things at the Binghamton Brewery.


Overall I would rate Galaxy Andromeda IPA a 3.75/5. A solid IPA for a dinner date night, a solid IPA for any night.


Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment