Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Boulevard Ginger Lemon Radler


Over the past few years I have watched with a puzzled look on my face as the Shandy/Radler became a popular variety of summer beer. Just like any style of beer, I found myself trying different interpretations from various breweries. Each time I sampled a new one I was left wondering what all the fuss was about. As a beer cocktail, I understand the idea behind the Shandy/Radler. A homemade mixture of beer and a sparkling lemonade or fruit beverage sounds refreshing. But a canned or bottled mixture of a poorly made base beer with a lot of “natural” flavoring to drown it out is something I find completely undrinkable. So, as I purchased a can of Boulevard Ginger Lemon Radler my expectations could not have been any lower. To add to that, I began to wonder if anyone will take this review seriously after reading this introduction. But I put that thought in the back of my mind as I began to pour what I hoped would be the first Shandy/Radler I would enjoy.

Boulevard Brewing Company's Ginger Lemon Radler pours a cloudy light yellow with a white head that falls off very quickly. There is not a lot of complexity here so to go into very specific details of what is in the aroma seems unnecessary. To put it simply, this smelled like ginger ale with a light, tart lemon backbone. It tasted exactly as it smelled. There was almost zero distinguishable beer flavor. To reinforce that point, this is the first beer in 13 years of trying that my Mom actually liked. The weird thing was, I liked it too. I found it light, crisp and easy to drink. The ginger flavor tastes genuine and the lemon provides a nice, tart balance to keep it from being too sweet.

The main drawback of this particular beer is that the beer itself seems to be missing. I say that because I feel like this review almost comes off as more of a soda review than a beer review. In fact I would say if you handed me a can of this and told me it was a lemon ginger ale I would have believed you. The 4.1% ABV is almost completely hidden as well, making this a dangerously sessionable, easy to drink summer beverage. It also makes this the first Shandy/Radler I have had that merits a second purchase.

Overall I would rate Boulevard Brewing Company's Ginger Lemon Radlar a 3/5. It's more of an alcoholic soda than beer, but it works.


Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment