Thursday, March 6, 2014

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny Stout

I’ve never understood the appeal of the Chocolate Bunny. I think they are boring, bland and as easy to chew as a piece of concrete. However this does not stop someone from getting me one as a gift every Easter. And every year I do the same thing. I eat a piece, remember how much I don’t like it, put it somewhere for someone else to eat and then throw it in the garbage a week or two later. It’s my Easter tradition.
 
And while I am not a fan of the Chocolate Bunny, I am a fan of the chocolate stout. If it is done right, the chocolate stout can be an very enjoyable beer drinking experience. With its’ chocolate sweetness and coffee bite, it might be the closest beer gets to being a dessert. So, my curiosity was peaked when I came across Rhinelander’s Chocolate Bunny Stout. The title alone gave me a reason to hope I might have found a new Easter tradition.


Things started out very well when Chocolate Bunny Stout poured a wonderfully dense black with a thick tan head that resembled chocolate milk. There was almost nothing else to detect in the aroma but chocolate and more chocolate. At this point I thought I was in for quite a treat.

Unfortunately upon tasting, I was hit immediately with the unpleasant flavor of artificial chocolate, followed by a hint of roasted malt. Things then went from bad to worse when the beer finished with the strong flavor of old burnt coffee. To better put it into perspective, think Nesquik meets vending machine coffee. It was at this point I realized it was time to stop looking for a new Easter tradition and start looking for any reason to finish the bottle.
Overall I give Rhinelander’s Chocolate Bunny Stout a 1/5. There are many variations of the chocolate stout, try any one but this one.
Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment