Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Leinenkugel's Hoppin Helles

If you asked me one word to describe the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company it would be average. Every beer I have sampled from them has been just that, not terrible, not mind blowing, just average. But for some strange reason I keep trying their beer hoping to find one that is anything but middle of the road. Perhaps the reason I do it is to make all the time I've put in and the money I've spent mean something, or perhaps I'm just not that bright. Nevertheless, for this week's beer I decided to try again with Leinenkugel's Hoppin Helles.

Originating in Munich, Germany, a Helles Lager is typically a pale golden style lager. Leinenkugel's Hoppin' Helles keeps to that tradition as it pours a beautifully clear light golden color with a nice white head. The aroma of Hoppin' Helles however is not as pleasant as it's appearance. The aroma reminded me of my college days when cheap beer got stuck into the carpet for too long. Even worse, the hops promised by the title of the beer were barely evident in the aroma, just a cheap stale grassiness and not much else.

Upon tasting, I was greeted with a light malt sweetness with only a touch of hops. This led to a slightly spicy but mostly forgettable finish. Like other Leinenkugel's products(Honey Weiss for example) the beer does not wash away cleanly. Instead an unpleasant aftertaste continued to build until I was happy the glass was finally empty.

And with that I had found my first truly bad beer from Leinenkugel's. This particular one was disappointing because Hoppin' Helles failed on its' promise to add an uncharacteristic hoppiness to the helles style lager. Instead it's a forgettable beer that I strongly encourage you to stay away from. If this review doesn't discourage you to stay away, hopefully its' 9 dollar a six pack price does.

Overall I'd give Leinenkugel's Hoppin Helles a 1.5/5. Aside from appearance, there is really nothing pleasant about it. Hoppin' Helles tastes cheap and belongs on the shelf next to the likes of Busch, Milwaukee's Best and Keystone.



Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment