Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Firestone Walker Dark & Stormy


The Firestone Walker Proprietor's Series needs no introduction. This series is so outstanding that even my least favorite beer in the series is still excellent. The only reason I would spend any time writing about it is if they did something different enough with it that I legitimately was not sure what to expect. With Dark & Stormy, Firestone Walker did just that. Dark & Stormy is a rum barrel aged blend that is 80% Helldorado and 20% Velvet Merkin, with freshly zested ginger and lime. 

When I first heard about Dark & Stormy, I was not as excited as I usually am about a new release in the series. I had no issue with the blend or the rum barrels, only the addition of ginger & lime. They felt like unnecessary adjuncts to an amazing series, but if any brewery could pull it off it was Firestone Walker.

The aroma of Dark & Stormy is very rum-forward. There is a nice honey sweetness as well, along with ginger, lime, a hint of chocolate, vanilla, coconut, caramel and spice. I grew optimistic from the aroma and that was rewarded when I took my first sip. Rum dominates initially before the ginger & lime are showcased. The creaminess of vanilla from the barrel finds its way in, along with the familiar graham cracker from Helldorado and a touch of chocolate from the Velvet Merkin. I wanted more of the Velvet Merkin to come through but I found myself enjoying Dark & Stormy for what it was. A fun, yet different addition to an illustrious series. However, I would not recommend this to any one who does not like rum. Rum is the dominant note here and I could see that being off-putting to some. 

Dark & Stormy is another great addition to the Proprietor's Series. I will admit it rates on the low end for me as far as the series goes, but I still think it is excellent.

Overall rating: 4/5


Rating Scale:
1. Repugnant and undrinkable
2. Acceptable but forgettable
3. Good, worth a purchase
4. Excellent, a step above the norm
5. Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!




No comments:

Post a Comment