Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA



I first came across Dogfish Head's 75 Minute IPA as part of their bomber series. At the time, I thought it was a bit too pricey and I left it on the shelf. I still wanted to try it but admittedly I forgot all about it. There is always a surplus of great beer on the shelf and if I pass on one, there is always something else to try. I admit however, I was thrilled to see 75 Minute IPA get a fall release. I am on a huge maple syrup beer kick and I really wanted to see how the beer in between two classics(60 Minute & 90 Minute) stacked up.

Like Wood Aged Bitches Brew earlier this year, 75 Minute IPA is now packaged in 6-packs and its per-ounce price has dropped substantially. The aroma of this copper-colored ipa was familar(grapefruit, orange peel, earthy pine, caramel, toasted bread) for a Dogfish Head IPA but offered something new, a subtle maple sweetness. When I took my first sip, those familiar notes shined and I knew I was drinking a Dogfish IPA. The normally bitter finish is where you can find the addition of maple syrup. It adds a nice touch of sweetness and complexity. As always, I wanted the maple syrup to be a touch bolder but I will admit what is here works just fine. This may not be a beer I want to drink year-round, but it works nicely as a nice compliment to crisp Fall weather.

Dogfish Head rarely misses when it comes to IPAs. I really enjoyed 75 Minute IPA. I will need more time to figure out where it stands on my list when it comes to 60 & 90 minute, but I think the answer for me, funny enough, will be somewhere in the middle.

Overall rating: 3.75/5

Rating Scale:
1. Repugnant and undrinkable
2. Acceptable but forgettable
3. Good, worth a purchase
4. Excellent, a step above the norm
5. Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment