Monday, October 22, 2018

Southern Tier Oat BBA Imperial Oatmeal Stout


Over the past week I have been on a small quest to find 4-packs of Southern Tier Warlock. Not for blogging reasons but more for the reason of picking up one of the pumpkin beers I really enjoy. So far I have been unsuccessful but it has given me plenty of time in different stores to contemplate beers I have yet to try.

For several months I had been contemplating buying Southern Tier’s Oat, a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. If you have been reading my blog long enough, you know this kind of beer hits right in my wheelhouse. The funny thing was every time I seemed to come across it, I found myself buying something else. I realized as I was looking at the remaining bottles of Oat that I might find myself in the same position with that as I did with the 4-packs of Warlock. So instead of missing out on Oat as well, I decided to give it a try.

In the past Oat was not barrel aged, but I love the idea of bringing back a beer from the past in a new way. The aroma is rich espresso, dark chocolate, caramel, smoke, vanilla, a touch of bourbon and a lot of oak. The barrel is really showcased on the first sip. Bourbon and vanilla come through initially along with molasses, dark chocolate, coffee, anise, caramelized sugar, dark fruit with a boozy, spicy finish. I realize I am close to 6 months late on trying this beer but in its current state it is delicious. Its velvety smooth mouthfeel made me wish I had another bottle. If I come across a second I will immediately throw it in the cellar to give it a little more time to mellow. I think just a little more time will work wonders for this beer. As it is right now, I think it is a fantastic drinking experience. I am trying to find ways to be negative because of how long I slept on this beer but it is difficult. This is a really great beer from Southern Tier. I will continue my quest to find a 4-pack of Warlock but if I come across this beer instead I will be thrilled to purchase it again.

Overall rating: 4.25/5

Rating Scale:
1. Repugnant and undrinkable
2. Acceptable but forgettable
3. Good, worth a purchase
4. Excellent, a step above the norm
5. Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment