Thursday, July 26, 2018

Founders Barrel Runner



I am a bit obsessed with the Founders Barrel Aged Series. If you have been following this blog, you already know that. I love writing about each new release for two reasons. The first being that the beer is usually great. The second being that you can clearly tell the brewers at Founders are having fun pushing the limits of creativity with this program. Dank Wood, the previous release in the series took an underrated style of beer(Red IPA) and added a whole new layer of complexity to it with the barrel aging. When I first heard about Barrel Runner, the latest release in the series, I was intrigued but disappointed. I was disappointed only because I wanted to see a different style outside of an IPA go into a barrel. However, I was intrigued because the tropical fruitiness of a mosaic hopped ale seemed like a perfect compliment for a rum barrel. It had potential to deliver a fruity, strong, summer-like cocktail take on a beer. I became further intrigued when I saw the early reception was very polarizing, much like my favorite release in the series DKML. I had no idea which side of the fence I would be on for this one, but I had confidence that if any brewery could pull a beer like this off, it would be Founders.

For Dank Wood, the previous release in the series, the barrel presence was a bit more dialed back. It acted as a compliment to the bold flavor of the Imperial Red IPA. When it comes to Barrel Runner, things are much different. The dominating aroma of rum was noticeable while standing a few feet away from the glass. There were hints of caramel malt, coconut, pine resin, grapefruit, and vanilla, but the stars of the show here are rum, oak and pineapple. The first sip and every sip after that is very sweet & very boozy. The fruitiness(pineapple, mango, papaya, tangerine, berries) tries to shine initially, along with a healthy dose of pine and caramel but is immediately overshadowed by rum, vanilla, oak spice, coconut, and booze(lots of booze). I like rum, so I liked this beer. It reminded me of the tropical drinks I had on my honeymoon, as well as the low-proof fruity rums I sampled irresponsibly when I was younger. This might sound silly but Barrel Runner tastes like a hangover to me. It reminds me of mixing way too many sugary drinks and spending the next day in bed. I purchased a 4-pack of Barrel Runner and found it impossible to open a second one in a single sitting. 


One thing that would have made this beer better would have been a bit of balance. The barrel is clearly all that is showcased here while more balance between the fruity, syrupy sweet IPA & the rum barrel would have greatly improved my thoughts on this beer. Put it this way, if you like your Rum & Cokes with just a splash of Coke, this beer is for you. If rum hangovers do not bother you, this beer is for you. If you don’t like rum at all, spend your 15+ dollars elsewhere.

Overall rating: 3/5


Rating Scale:
1. Repugnant and undrinkable
2. Acceptable but forgettable
3. Good, worth a purchase
4. Excellent, a step above the norm
5. Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment