Friday, June 27, 2014

Hipster Ale by Evil Twin Brewing


It seemed out of nowhere Pabst Blue Ribbon became the “hipster beer”. Now I am not a hipster, but I do enjoy a PBR tallboy from time to time. Before I go on, I feel a need to justify the previous statement. I dig a PBR once in awhile because sometimes I want to enjoy a beer on a budget. And sometimes it's nice to drink a beer with 170 years of history behind it(I often wonder if my great Grandfather enjoyed one back in his day.) Still, I have never dug the thought of drinking a beer because it's trendy. If I did that I would not be writing a beer blog and on top of that I'd probably have a fridge full of Blue Moon, oranges and Bud Light Lime. Still, I've always wondered why hipsters took to PBR. Was it Dennis Hopper's famous “Heineken? F—k that sh-t. Pabst Blue Ribbon!” line from David Lynch's Blue Velvet? Is it because it's cheap? Or is it because according to the can, the “choicest products provide its' prized flavor?” Perhaps it is none of the above or perhaps it is a combination of all three. Either way I guess we'll never know the real answer and maybe there isn't one. Sometimes things just become popular with little to no reason. But it seems Stratford, Connecticut's Evil Twin Brewing has decided to force the issue and try make their Hipster Ale the next trendy choice. So my mission with this review is to find out whether or not it has a shot at doing just that.

Evil Twin Brewing's Hipster Ale pours hazy gold with with a lingering white head. The aroma was pretty standard for a pale ale. A bready malt matched with the grapefruit and citrus aromas from the hops. The hops seemed to stand out a bit more in the aroma and they did the same in the flavor. Unfortunately, aside from being a hop forward pale ale, there is really nothing else good to say about the flavor. The dirty, peppery, citrus flavor of the hops were all I could taste. My first sip I could barely taste the malt. Towards the end of the glass I could start to pick up some of the malt sweetness but that was only because my palate had been desensitized by the strong, lingering, unpleasant aftertaste of the hops. To put this in perspective, there are beers that wash away clean, beers that leave a pleasant lingering flavor that almost beg you to take another sip and then there is the flavor of dirty garbage which this beer left behind. I wanted to put the rest of beer down the sink but in the name of integrity I carried on, determined to finish it in the hope there was at least something positive I could say about it. Unfortunately, by the time I finished the beer the only positive thing I could come up with was the can looked pretty cool.

To put it simply, this is a bad beer. And it's one that I would recommend staying very far away from. Usually, I will retry a beer a few years down the line to see if I may have been wrong about it upon first tasting. I don't think that will be the case here. And unless it becomes cool to drink really bad expensive beer out of an a fun looking can, I think it's safe to say this beer has no shot at becoming trendy.

Overall I give Hipster Ale a 0.75/5. I want to make it clear that half point is for the cool can, not the beer.


Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment