Friday, June 20, 2014

Saranac Wild Hop Pils Lager

Saranac beer made by Matt Brewing Company in Utica, NY has never been shy about taking chances. Over the years they have brewed a Chocolate Amber Lager, a Ginger Pale Ale and a Pomegranate Wheat Ale just to name a few. And while many of their beers sound very interesting, they are more miss then hit when it comes to taste. Back when their winter mix packs contained 12 different beers, I would buy it on sight. About halfway through the mix pack, after realizing I had not found a single beer I actually liked, I would promise myself I would not buy the mix pack the following year. But when winter would arrive a year later and I would read the contents of the new mix pack, I would not be able to resist trying their new red ale or giving their unbearably sweet Caramel Porter another shot. But after doing this year in, year out I felt it was time to break the cycle. Because of this I stayed away from Saranac for awhile. When someone suggested I try their White IPA I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Since then it is the only Saranac beer I actually seek out. But on a recent trip to the store my curiosity was peaked when I noticed their new summer seasonal beer Wild Hop Pils. The bottle said it is the first beer to use the Belma hop that was found growing in the Yakima Valley in the state of Washington. So because of all the good will the White IPA bought, the Wild Hop Pils sounded intriguing enough to me to merit a purchase and become the subject of this review.

Wild Hop Pils pours a visibly carbonated clear golden yellow with a thin white head. The aroma has all the familiar traits of a pilsner lager. But here the familiar grainy, grassy aroma is complemented by a noticeable floral citrus from the Belma hops. While it appeared promising that Wild Hop Pils could put a new spin on the pilsner lager, unfortunately just about everything about Wild Hop Pils tasted familiar. The most notable difference was the hops that add a mild spicy citrus to the flavor. A more subtle difference is that the malt is slightly sweeter than your typical American pilsner. The finish is crisp, clean but forgettable.

While Saranac Wild Hop Pils might not be as interesting as I hoped it would be, it’s not a bad beer either. It’s smooth, easy to drink and would offer a slightly spicy alternative to a fan of domestic pilsners. So this could work as a gateway to better beer for your Labatt Blue and Budweiser drinking friends. And while it didn’t blow me away, I can safely say this beer is good enough for me to give another new Saranac brew a shot down the line even if there is little here to make me a repeat customer of Wild Hop Pils.


Overall I give Saranac Wild Hop Pils a 2.5/5. I am glad I tried the first beer made with Belma hops but I’ll probably forget about this beer as soon as the six pack is out of my fridge.

Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment