Thursday, June 29, 2017

Founders Doom Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial IPA



The Founders Barrel Aged Series has been fantastic so far. The first entry, Frootwood is a creative example of using a bourbon barrel that held maple syrup to completely transform a cherry ale into something truly unique. The second entry, KBS, needs no introduction. It is an amazing beer that lives up to the hype it generates every single year. The third entry in the series, Doom, is the subject of this blog. Doom is an imperial IPA aged in bourbon barrels that clocks in with an ABV of 12.4%. Due to my love of everything Founders has put in a bourbon barrel(except Lizard of Koz), I had high hopes that Doom, like the others in the series, would deliver another incredible drinking experience.

Founders Doom is a big, interesting beer. From the moment the crystal clear amber-colored liquid hit my glass, I got a whiff of its complex aroma. Caramel, vanilla, oak, spice, bourbon and citrus stand out beautifully. These same notes are what dominate the flavor. When I took my first sip, grapefruit and pineapple greeted me before giving way to caramel, vanilla, bourbon, oak spice and booze. The barrel really shines in the finish here and I absolutely loved that. Then again, this is called the Barrel Aged Series for a reason.

What I had trouble with here is thinking of this an IPA. I know it is, but reminded me more of a hoppy barleywine than anything else. If I had to compare it to another IPA, I could easily compare it to Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA after it had been sitting for a year or more. While I do enjoy drinking an aged Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, at 10 dollars a bottle, I think you should just put that money towards a really nice barleywine instead. In the case of Doom, you get all the benefits of aging 120 Minute IPA, for less money and you do not have to wait to make it drinkable. I think Doom is delicious but as far as the 2017 Barrel Aged Series goes, I think it is the weakest of the 3 releases so far. Do not let that discourage you though, I feel the first 2 released in the series have been particularly strong and it is hard to top KBS. If you are interested in trying Doom, I would highly recommend doing so.

Overall rating: 3.75/5. While I enjoyed Doom, I can't wait for the next release in the series, DKML. The thought of drinking bourbon barrel aged malt liquor is just as exciting to me now as it would have been when I was in college. Look for a blog on that as soon as it hits Upstate NY.

Rating Scale:
1. Repugnant and undrinkable
2. Acceptable but forgettable
3. Good, worth a purchase
4. Excellent, a step above the norm
5. Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment