Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Wadworth 6X Amber Ale



Once in a while, like many beer drinkers, I pick up a mixed 6-pack to purchase beers I do not want to make a full 4 or 6-pack commitment to. Usually I can find a few gems, but a lot of the beers I pick I am happy with having only one can or bottle of and moving on.

While picking my most recent mix pack, I found myself craving malt a bit more even though it is still very summer-like outside. While that malt craving is stronger than it normally is this time of year, I am still not looking for something heavy. England's Wadworth 6X Amber Ale seemed to fit that bill nicely. Now granted, I was a little concerned about the freshness of the beer(according to the can, the best-by date is August 31st), so I am getting this blog in at the last possible minute for this can.

Clocking in at a summer-appropriate 4.3%, 6X pours a beautifully clear amber. Its aroma is rich in caramel, toasted bread, a touch of toffee, a hint of fruit, with some earthy, grassy hops and an unfortunate touch of cardboard. I was worried age had really taken a toll on this beer but when I took my first sip I was pleasantly surprised. It is not going to blow your socks off but this is a decent amber ale. Lots of malt sweetness up front, caramel sweetness to be more specific, with a touch of fruitiness, molasses, toasted bread, apple, a sad note of stale cardboard before an earthy, slightly bitter finish. It definitely could be fresher and I would have loved it to be just a little less watered down. The latter feels like a silly complaint when considering this is a 4.3% beer. The only other complaint I have is the strong taste of mineral water that accumulated on my palate the more I drank of 6X.

When I really stepped back and looked at Wadworth 6X, I did enjoy it. However, I think it works better in a mixed 6-pack because once I finished the can, I felt I did not need another. If you are a fan of the style, I think you should give it a try. It is by no means a bad beer. I just think there are better and fresher amber ale options out there.

Overall rating: 3/5


To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!


No comments:

Post a Comment