Wednesday, December 19, 2018

El Segundo Steve Austin's Broken Skull IPA


There are few beers I have looked forward to trying more than El Segundo Brewing Company's Steve Austin's Broken Skull IPA. The idea of a beer designed by the Beer Swilling Texas Rattle Snake Stone Cold Steve Austin was something I just had to try. The fact that it was not distributed in New York is the only reason I had yet to get my hands on a bottle. With the holidays here I found myself looking for a unique wrestling gift for a friend, and a bottle of Broken Skull IPA seemed like the perfect gift. Since I was going to order one, I thought I might as well get a second one to try to find out if this West Coast IPA was everything I hoped it would be.

As I poured Broken Skull IPA into my glass, I was immediately greeted by its wonderfully bold hop aroma. Loads of sticky pine resin, along with zesty grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine and an herbal spiciness seemed to jump out of the glass. I could not wait to take my first "swig of beer" and when I did I was immediately rewarded by the bold flavors of citrus and pine. Grapefruit and tangerine in particular shine, along with a touch of tropical fruit. The citrus and fruit notes provide a nice contrast to the pine & grass, which I have to admit is more subdued than I expected, but it is just the right amount for this beer. The doughy malt backbone is light but that is all that is needed here. Then a really nice touch of herbal spiciness from the Chinook hops comes in just before the crisp, clean finish.

As I worked my way through the 22 oz. bomber, I found myself stunned(see what I did there?) by how easy Broken Skull IPA was to drink. At 6.7% ABV, it is not exactly an ideal session beer but that is exactly what it drinks like. If this was available in New York, it would be a staple in my refrigerator because it is a well-made brew that is accessible to a craft beer novice as well as the more experienced craft beer enthusiast. I guess what I am trying to say is, if someone offers you a chance to try Steve Austin's Broken Skull IPA, give them an OH HELL YEAH!


Overall rating: 4.25/5


Rating Scale:
1. Repugnant and undrinkable
2. Acceptable but forgettable
3. Good, worth a purchase
4. Excellent, a step above the norm
5. Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment