Friday, September 21, 2018

Fall Recommendation: Southern Tier Harvest



Fall beer is everywhere now and after several days on the cooler side, as well as the return of football, I’m finally excited about it! When I reach this point I tend to go to a bottle shop and look for my fall favorites and a few new ones to try. One of my particular favorites is Southern Tier’s Harvest Ale.

As I mentioned in my previous blog, I think ESB(Extra Special/Strong Bitter) is an underrated style that I wish more breweries took on. I understand it is not a particularly flashy style but sometimes the occasion just calls for something very drinkable. I have always found Southern Tier’s take on Harvest Ale to be particularly fun because it really turns up the hoppiness for the style. It is noticeable the second you start to pour it into a glass.

Southern Tier Harvest Ale moves away from the sessionable beers of summer with a higher ABV(6.7%) and a lot more flavor. The great thing about Harvest Ale is its balance and drinkability, which is typical of the style. While the grapefruit, orange, pine and earthy hops are a bit more pronounced than the style typically calls for, the malt sweetness provides the right amount of balance to this. The finish is crisp, dry, and clean, making it easy to reach for a second bottle. Unlike a summer beer however, the ABV starts to show up a bit sooner.

Southern Tier Harvest Ale was one of the first Fall seasonal beers outside of the Oktoberfest lagers & Pumpkin Ales I tried during my early days of craft beer drinking. I found it complimented the crisp, cool Fall weather perfectly. It has been a beer I have enjoyed for over a decade now and recommend everyone give it a try at some point.


To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment