Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Blue Point Hazy Bastard IPA



It has been a long time since I have purchased anything from Blue Point Brewing Company. Back around 2007-2009, I was a big fan of their Oktoberfest. I bought it fairly regularly actually, then one night I had a few too many of them and to put it simply, my desire to drink it never came back. That setback aside, that has nothing to do with why I do not purchase anything else from their catalog. My reasoning for that is, outside of the Oktoberfest, I found everything I tried from them to be alarmingly average. Nothing was terrible, nothing was great, for the price however there was always something better out there to purchase. When Anheuser-Busch InBev purchased them in 2014, I thought it was a bummer but it did not affect my purchase habits in any way. When I shop for beer, Blue Point has become almost invisible to me. I could pass through a bottle shop, look right at a shelf of Blue Point and not give it a second thought. I said “almost” earlier because I actually did see a Blue Point beer that caught my eye. Their Hazy Bastard New England-Stye IPA got the better of my curiosity and I found myself purchasing a 4-pack of it. As I walked out of the store, I couldn't help but look forward to trying macro beer's take on a beloved style in the craft community and writing about it.

The aromas of orange, grapefruit, passion fruit, pineapple, pine and biscuit greeted me and gave me high hopes for Hazy Bastard IPA. The fact that the beer was canned just a few days ago makes it even more exciting. Is this the beer that puts Blue Point Brewing Company back on my radar? The answer to that question is yes and no. Hazy Bastard NE-IPA is a good beer. The taste of orange jumped out at me during the first sip. There were notes of grapefruit, passion fruit, guava, pineapple and biscuit before a peppery, bitter, astringent finish. There was also a hint of onion coming through as well, but it was mostly overshadowed by the tropical & citrus flavors. Pretty much, everything worked for me here up until the finish. The lingering astringency seemed out of place here. I was expecting a softer finish but that was not in the cards. The initial citrus and tropical notes were bold and fantastic. Those flavors were quite refreshing and paired nicely with a hot September day. The astringent finish can be felt long after taking a sip and that did not particularly work for me.

So the first question is, how did Blue Point(AB InBev) do with the style? I think they did surprisingly well with the NE-Style. Second, does that mean it stands up to some of the best beers that represent the style? Absolutely not. This is a serviceable NE-IPA. It hits a lot of the notes you would expect it to and aside from a messy finish delivers a pleasant drinking experience. However, it does not come close to the craftsmanship of others in the style. Finally, did it put Blue Point back on the map for me? I'm not sure, but it is September, perhaps I should give that Oktoberfest one more try.

Overall rating: 3.75/5


Rating Scale:
1. Repugnant and undrinkable
2. Acceptable but forgettable
3. Good, worth a purchase
4. Excellent, a step above the norm
5. Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment