Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Freedom 35: Trailer Park Boys Lager


Recently, my father and I headed to Toronto for a U2 concert and to try some fantastic beer. Unfortunately, terrible traffic cut into our beer drinking time, but still we found a way to try some terrific beer. As soon as we reached the city, our first stop was to Bellwoods Brewery. We sampled several delicious beers there but our clear favorite was the Paper Tiger Lager. The beer was everything you would want on a hot day. It was nicely hopped, slightly fruity, tropical with a crisp, clean finish. At 5.3% this could have easily been the beer we stuck with for the rest of the night, but unfortunately there were no bottles to purchase and we could pretty much guarantee this was not going to be for sale in the Rogers Centre.


The beers at the Rogers Centre were the standard macro beers you would expect. Stella Artois, Budweiser and Labatt were pretty much for sale everywhere in the building. I was happy to find a beer I had yet to try something at the beer stand in the General Admission section. That was Mill St. Original Organic Lager. We immediately bought 2 of those and began drinking what was easily the worst beer of the trip. I wish I could remember more about it flavor-wise but U2 came out shortly after and we immediately forgot how terrible the beer was in our hands.




After the show, we went back to the hotel room and I began searching for nearby LCBO stores. Before we could leave the city of Toronto the next morning, I had to find one particular beer. That beer was Freedom 35, the Trailer Park Boys Lager. I am a huge fan of the Trailer Park Boys show and their podcast. From the moment they announced they were releasing this beer I had to try it. Fortunately, there was an LCBO about a half mile away, so we walked over as soon as the store opened and bought a few cans. I'll admit my expectations for the beer were fairly low. This was a gimmick beer, plain and simple, but I hoped, really hoped, that it would taste good. Regardless of whether or not it did, I had to write a blog about it.

To borrow a phrase from the Trailer Park Boys, Freedom 35 Lager is “DEEEEECENT.” It is a simple lager that is by no means extraordinary. It just works as an easy drinking lager. Its aroma is simple. It is grainy, grassy, slightly fruity with a hint of spice. Now I feel like I am really reaching there, but the beer's nose is basic and simple. The first sip followed suit. Lots of bread, cracker, grain, grass and a light fruitiness. The finish is crisp, clean and refreshing. To put it simply, Freedom 35 lager is an easy drinking session beer. That seems to be the intention behind it. Now, is it worth seeking out while in Canada? Absolutely. The can alone is incredible. I am hoping this is a first in a series of beer to be released with the Trailer Park Boys name on it. I am hoping to see an imperial stout aged in Liquorman's Old Dirty Canadian Whiskey Barrels. If you are asking yourself, 'is that a real thing?' Thankfully the answer is yes.



Overall rating: 3/5. A simple, easy drinking lager with a decent can.


Rating Scale:
1. Repugnant and undrinkable
2. Acceptable but forgettable
3. Good, worth a purchase
4. Excellent, a step above the norm
5. Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment