Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Alchemist Sterk Wit



The first time I went up to Vermont to purchase beer from The Alchemist was a couple years ago. My wife and I arrived at The Beverage Warehouse in Winooski, Vermont at 8:40AM. I was the 6th person in line. By the time the place opened at 10 AM, the parking lot was completely full and the line was around the building. Judging by the license plates on the cars in the parking lot, people had come from all over the US and Canada to get their hands on Heady Topper. I stood in awe of the amount of cases the store received. Their entire stock sold out that day in a matter of minutes.

Since then, The Alchemist Brewery has opened a new visitor's center in Stowe, Vermont. This has made their beer significantly easier to obtain. It also allows for a bit more variety to choose from. For our most recent trip to Vermont, we were fortunate enough to arrive there with friends around 5 PM, with plenty of beer still in stock. Unfortunately, we ended up missing out on Focal Banger. We did however leave with Heady Topper, Luscious British Imperial Stout and the beer I will be reviewing today, Sterk Wit Belgian Style Double Wit.

My first experience with Sterk Wit was not under the circumstances I would normally like. I drank it out of a can in let's just say a shorter amount of time than I would have liked. Now that I am home from vacation, I was able to take my time with it and really enjoy it. The aroma was lovely, full of orange, spice, coriander, bread dough and a hit of fruit. This first sip was delightful and had a nice creamy mouthfeel. Sterk Wit is by far one of the hoppier witbiers I have ever had. The flavors of orange peel, tangerine, coriander, bread dough, clove, and banana give way to a spicy, dry finish. There was also this subtle fruity sweetness that lingered in the background which really added to the character of the beer. Needless to say, there's a lot going on here and I thoroughly enjoyed every sip. The use of Mandarina Bavaria hops are a beautiful addition to Sterk Wit. They really amplify the citrus and fruitiness. This beer definitely measures up as one of the best Witbiers I have had in recent memory. The Alchemist Brewery delivered again with another fantastic beer.

Overall I rate The Alchemist Sterk Wit a 4.5/5. If you are a fan of Witbiers, this is a must try.

Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly Exceptional. Drop everything, BUY IT NOW!

To discuss this blog or all things beer like my Facebook page

Look for me on Instagram & Untappd and Twitter @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews check out: http://www.acraftylook.com

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment