Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Southern Tier 2x Oak'd IPA



Last week, I had Southern Tier's 2xIPA for the very first time. I honestly was surprised that this was the case. I assumed it was just one of those beers I tried before that did not make an impression and I just moved on from it. Also, I am not a huge fan of the Southern Tier IPA. I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with it, I just prefer many other IPAs in that particular price range. That being said, Southern Tier used to make some of my favorite IPAs. Years ago, I loved Hoppe, Un-Earthly and their wax-dipped Gemini. They were my first real taste of when a big IPA is done correctly. Since then Un-Earthly is fortunately still around, Hoppe is long gone and Gemini is no longer wax-dipped and seems to be a different beer altogether. So, with my indifference to Southern Tier IPA and my disappointment that they no longer make some old favorites, it was easy to overlook 2xIPA. So when my cousin brought over a six pack of 2xIPA I cracked open a bottle thinking nothing of it. I was then pleasantly surprised by the beautiful flavors in my glass. Simply put, I thought it was a really nice double IPA. So when I went back to the store to pick up another six pack I was stopped in my tracks when I saw Southern Tier 2x Oak'd IPA. Aged with oak chips and brewed with maple syrup, 2x Oak'd IPA sounded fantastic. That, paired with my enjoyment of 2xIPA, gave me high hopes that 2x Oak'd IPA would deliver a fantastic drinking experience.

So where does 2x Oak'd IPA measure up to some of Southern Tier's other IPAs? The answer is somewhere in the middle. The beer is not as great as it sounds on the packaging. It has a lot going on but mostly everything here is understated. The maple flavor is almost completely invisible. It adds a little bit of sweetness on the back end but for the most part is invisible. If you read my review of Barrel Aged Heavy Boots of Lead, I stated I wanted more maple syrup in the flavor. I feel like a broken record repeating the same thing here but it's true. At this point I want a brewery to drown a beer in maple syrup so I can finally get an adequate amount of it in the flavor. The oak flavor is there but aside from adding a bit of spice and a hint of vanilla it does not add much to the beer. A little more vanilla could have really added a creaminess to the finish that this beer could have benefited from. There is a lot of pine in the flavor, along with some caramel malt which is fine. There is a light amount of citrus as well in the flavor but not nearly enough. Unfortunately, this just tastes more like a really good IPA that has been on the shelf too long more that anything else. I definitely think 2x Oak'd IPA has potential. If they decide to try this again and I think they should, I think it could get a lot better. Then again if Southern Tier is looking to give another beer a second chance instead, I'd much rather see them bring Hoppe back instead.

Overall I would rate 2x Oak'd IPA a 2.5/5. Until they get it right, just go with the 2xIPA, it's really good.


To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter, Instagram & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://www.acraftylook.com

For my most recent appearance of 13 WHAM's Good Day Rochester: Click Here!

Happy New Year! Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment