Sunday, May 3, 2015

Sam Adams Rebel Rouser IPA


I've always viewed beer from the Boston Beer Company, better known as the makers of the Samuel Adams, as a gateway to craft beer. They were certainly mine so many years ago. Their seemingly endless catalog of beers provided me with the opportunity to try my first Octoberfest, Cream Stout, Winter Lager, Hefeweizen, Imperial Pilsner, Double Bock...well you get the point. But as my palate matured I found myself leaving the beers of Sam Adams behind in favor of those from breweries all over the world. I frequently wonder why this was the case? I think one reason is that while they made a lot of beers, there were only a few that were truly unique. I always felt a lot of their dark beers shared a familiar malt profile that made buying a mix pack from them a lot less exciting and adventurous then it seemed. Another reason I think I shied away from them was their lack of IPAs. Years ago while other breweries were producing IPAs to meet the growing demand from hopheads nationwide, Boston Beer Company seemed to want to go in any direction but one that involved them making one. And worse, when they finally did produce an IPA(Latitude 48) it was lackluster. When they tried again with their supposed west coast style Rebel IPA, it was also lackluster. So as you can imagine going into my first Rebel Rouser IPA, I was not very optimistic about it being anything other then a forgettable beer from the brewery that once taught me there was more out there then just the yellow mainstream fizz. But after tasting it I am pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Rebel Rouser pours a beautifully clear gold with an off white head that leaves plenty of lacing. The aroma is quite pleasant, full of citrus, pine and a hint of malt sweetness. The 8.4% ABV is slightly noticeable in the aroma, letting you know you are about to drink a big beer. It was at this moment, I experienced a swell of optimism thinking the folks at Sam Adams had finally succeeded in making a quality IPA. This feeling was confirmed when I took my first sip. Bold tropical fruit, citrus and pine flooded my palate immediately before finishing with a clean malt sweetness that seems to fade a bit too quickly. While there is an expected bitterness from the hops in the aftertaste, there is almost no indication in the flavor that Rebel Rouser carried such a high ABV which falsely gives the idea that it is sessionable. While that is not a knock against the beer, the fact that the flavor comes and goes so quickly is. It seems like Rebel Rouser is almost too polished and too conservative to live up to its' rebellious graffiti themed label. That being said, this is a good beer and a step in the right direction by the Boston Beer Company to satisfy hop heads nationwide.

Overall I would rate Sam Adams Rebel Rouser a 3.5/5. While it does not break any new ground, Rebel Rouser finally proves that Boston Beer Company can make a respectable IPA.

Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment