Thursday, May 1, 2014

Kelpie Seaweed Ale



Once in awhile I come across a beer I just have to try. In most cases it is a new offering from one of my favorite breweries, or if I'm in a different city I usually seek out something from a local microbrewery. But in the case of this week's beer I was intrigued by the idea of a Seaweed Ale, it just took a me a little time to build up the courage to try it.

When I was a kid I had a wild imagination and a love of horror movies. The movie Creepshow 2 did no favors for me whenever I went swimming in a lake. In Creepshow 2, a group of teenagers were attacked and eaten by a mysterious blob after swimming in a lake they clearly shouldn't have. As a child, I would think of this anytime I swam and got stuck in seaweed. Each time I thought the seaweed I was stuck in was the blob about to eat me. So because of that I am not usually excited about anything seaweed-related, but I thought what better way to get over it than try it in my favorite beverage, beer.

Kelpie Seaweed Ale is brewed in Scotland by the Williams Brothers Brewing Company. It pours a clear brown with a light khaki colored head. The aroma is strong, full of roasted malt, a hint of salt and bitter chocolate. Upon tasting the roasted malt flavor overwhelmed my palette. Bitter chocolate and molasses are strong in the malt and finishes with a light salty finish. There is little to no hop presence. Just the flavor of roasted malt, that lingers unpleasantly until the next sip.

The most noticeable thing about Kelpie Seaweed Ale is the fact that there is nothing special going on here. It tastes like your run of the mill average brown ale and that is what makes this beer truly disappointing. Nothing about this beer stands out even though it is brewed with a truly unique ingredient. If you are in the market for a good dark beer, this is a good way to play it safe but I think it is best to look elsewhere.

Overall I'd give Kelpie Seaweed Ale a 2/5. I may not have forgotten the nightmares of being caught in seaweed as a child, but I'll forget this beer as soon as this blog is finished.

Rating Scale:
1 - Repugnant and undrinkable
2 - Acceptable but forgettable
3 - Good, worth a purchase
4 - Excellent, a step above the norm
5 - Truly exceptional 

To discuss this blog or all things beer follow me on Twitter & Untappd at @ACraftyLook

For more beer reviews go to: http://acraftylook.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading. Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment