Thursday, October 17, 2019

Greater Good Good Night Moon



For this blogger, it’s very easy to like what Worcester, Massachusetts’ Greater Good Imperial Brew Co. is doing. As you may already know, I love big beers and the idea of an all imperial brewery is right up my alley. I am very excited that they are currently getting regular distribution in Western NY and am more than ready to make my way through their catalog. For this blog, I thought starting with a beer that would pair nicely with a cool, Fall evening would be a perfect way to start this journey and Good Night Moon, an 11% imperial milk porter is just that.

I can’t lie, the idea of an 11% imperial milk porter had me a little worried before I tried it. It had the potential to be unbearably sweet and I knew if that was the case, the remaining three cans in the 4-pack might end up having an indefinite stay in my refrigerator.

As I poured my first can into a glass, I could tell from the aroma this was undoubtedly going to be on the sweet side. I just hoped it would be bearable. The first note that really stood out in the aroma was chocolate, think a dark chocolate cake with milk chocolate frosting. I found that to be delightful, along with the notes of coffee, licorice, creamy vanilla, a hint of pine, and earthy hops.

The first sip, like the nose, really brought the chocolate. Rich, decadent milk chocolate, balanced out with roasted malt and coffee. Some creamy vanilla & licorice follow and that rolls right into the semi-sweet, charred finish that lingers on the palate. It is a sweet beer, but that is what you should expect from the style. However, I never thought it was too sweet. I also thought that the 11% ABV was hidden exceptionally well. I could tell I was drinking a stronger beer but I would not have placed it as high as 11%. Good Night Moon is definitely a beer that can sneak up on you, especially if you decided to enjoy a second can.

I am not going to say that Good Night Moon is going to blow your socks off but if you are a fan of a slightly sweeter stout or porter, you will really enojy this beer. I, for one, am relieved I enjoyed it as much as I did. I am fairly certain the 3 other cans I purchased won't see the end of the week.

Overall rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment